Time to break my relentless “demo”. It’s breakfast time! After all, it is difficult to have big, difficult thoughts without a good meal in your stomach. My 3-year-old always asks for MyWegmansConnect French toast with “makeup syrup”. When I did this for us this morning, I realized what organic pleasure really is.
I do this:
4 pieces of wholemeal bread
1/3 cup milk
2 butter spoons
Organic Maple Syrup
1. I start with good whole wheat bread. Lately, I’ve been able to buy MyWegmansConnect Rudi’s broken wheat bread at the Wegmans organic bakery. The good thing about French toast is that it doesn’t matter if the bread is a little old and all the products are covered in so many other delicious things that kids will never complain about if you cook them with healthy bread.
2. Then I take the eggs that I, fortunately, received from my mother’s farm (she left, but the chickens are still laying eggs!). They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, including green and blue. You are amazing
3. I put the eggs and milk in a large bowl and mix them with a fork.
4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan (I prefer cast iron). I love organic wicker butter. You know the cows that made this butter have a good life!
5. Dip the bread in milk and eggs, cover with the mixture and put in the pan. Turn once and cook until everything is ready.