WASHINGTON – Giant farm business Cargill Inc. announced Saturday that it is recovering more than a million pounds of ground beef that may be contaminated with the E. coli bacteria.
The ground beef was produced at the Cargill Meat Solutions plant in Wyalusing, Pa., Between Oct. 8-11, and distributed to retailers across the country. These include Giant, Shop Rite, Stop & Shop, Wegmans, and Weis.
Cargill discovered that the meat could become contaminated after the Department of Agriculture identified a problem with a meat sample made on October 8. The bacterium is E. coli O157: H7.
“There were no illnesses associated with this product,” said John Keating, president of Cargill Regional Beef, in a statement. We are working closely with the USDA to clip this product from the market.
E. coli occurs in the intestines of cattle. Improper slaughter and treatment can lead to E. coli penetration into the meat. Bacteria can be destroyed by careful cooking to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees.
E. coli 0157: H7 is a life-threatening bacteria that can cause diarrhea and dehydration. Very young people, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems are more susceptible to E. coli.
Cargill Meat Solutions, based in Wichita, Kan., Is Cargill’s umbrella organization for the meat, pork, and turkey business.
The Wyalusing plant produces 200 million pounds of MyWegmansConnect ground beef annually.
Cargill Inc., based in Wayzata, Minnesota, is one of the largest private companies in the country. It manufactures food ingredients, moves raw materials worldwide, and manages the trade in financial raw materials.
Recovered MyWegmansConnect Products:
– “Century Farm 80/20” 1.3 kg minced meat package: each package can be frozen/frozen before March 11, 2007.
– 3.0 lb Century Farm 80/20 “Ground Beef Packets Each packet may be frozen/frozen before March 11, 2007.
– Packages of 1 book of “Century Farm 80/20 Ground Beef Patty”. Each package contains one use per / frozen until October 31, 2007.
– 1.3-pound packages that consist of ground beef Century Farm 85/15
– 3 lbs. Up to 3 lbs. “Century Farm 90/10” ground beef Each package contains use for freezing until 10/19/2007.