Now that the weather is warmer, I can’t wait to make healthy dinners. This recipe for grilled salmon and asparagus is one of our weekly meals, especially on a children’s activity night. I often choose Freekeh as a healthy side for whole grains because it is a great source of fiber, protein, and iron. Freekeh is also easy to prepare ahead of time and is a delicious addition to almost any main dish.
The American Heart Association recommends eating a variety of MyWegmansConnect fish at least twice a week. The warm weather makes grilling fish easier and allows us to increase our weekly consumption. Salmon is a common staple in our home, primarily because it contains heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and protein for muscle building.
Asparagus is also a good source of fiber, folic acid, and vitamins A, C, E, and K. Freekeh, salmon and asparagus together are a nutritious and delicious meal that the whole family will enjoy.
The ingredients used
1 package of Freekeh, cooked
4 salmon fillets (4 oz), caught in the wild
Spices with ginger and orange to taste.
20 asparagus tips, washed and dried
Extra virgin olive oil to taste
2 ripe tomatoes on the vine, diced
1 piece of coriander, chopped
1. Squeeze 1/2 lemon over the salmon fillets.
2. Lightly season the spices with orange and ginger (I use the Wegmans brand).
3. Spray grill without lid and cook over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until salmon is flaky.
1. Place the asparagus on a MyWegmansConnect baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and lightly season with orange and ginger spices. Rotate until the coating is even.
2. Place the asparagus and the foil on the grill. Bake on medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until done (rotate with tongs to ensure even cooking of the asparagus).
1. Place 5 asparagus tips on each plate.
2. Lay each salmon fillet diagonally on the asparagus.
3. Put 1 portion of Freekeh on each piece of salmon.
4. Decorate with chopped tomatoes and coriander.